I would describe each of my brothers, sisters, or cousins when we were young this way:

How do I describe my brother and sisters "when we were young" when they were 11, 8, and 6 1/2 years older than me? We weren't young together. When I was five, my siblings were 12, 13, and 16 and were teenagers.

Although my brother and I shared a bedroom until I was about eight, all I can remember about this bedroom was bunk beds (I had the bottom) and a crib in the bedroom because we frequently had my cousin's son staying/living with us. I believe it was hard for my brother in a household of sisters and the only boy. He turned to his friends and scouting and never seemed to be at home. He was outgoing and friendly.

Sandy, my oldest sister, was a hard worker, working at candy stores, either downtown or out at Merle Hay Mall. People flocked to her (and my younger sister) and the evenings would be spent outside in the summer with several young men visiting them. When I was eight she gave birth to my nephew. Although married, the marriage was already on the rocks and she was living at our house with her son. After graduation from high school in 1962, she went to work for Higgins Ford and frequently came home with a new car she had bought. Saturdays would be spent shopping with Sandy, my mom, and her son, cruising around in whatever vehicle she may have owned at the time. If it was summer, the car most likely was a convertible.

Linda graduated early from high school in January of 1964 and went to work at a local insurance company and then married in July of 1964 and moved out. Her and Sandy hung out a lot, scooping the loop, etc.

My closest cousin, Candy, was just one year and one week older than me. We were very close, staying at each other's house. I loved staying at her house, with all the trees for climbing, and the explorations we did. Candy had a sister about 10 years older, a brother about five years older, and a sister about five years younger. We also had other older cousins, the ages of our older siblings. Out mothers (sisters) both sewed and on a couple of occasions, made us matching dresses for Christmas.


Comments

Popular Posts