George E. Haworth


George E. Haworth was my 6th great-grandfather, born before 1680 in Lancashire, England. He was the son of James Haworth and Isabel Radcliffe. He emigrated, in 1699 from Liverpool.

Most all the information I have comes from Bill Putnam, Electronically Published Family History, 13 Jul 2012, billputnam.com/Haworth.pdf, a booklet put out by the Haworth Family Association at a reunion held in Plainfield, Indiana in September of 1899 by the Haworth Family Association, and Broderbund Software, Inc., World Family Tree Vol. 1, Ed. 1, Tree #2874 (submitted 7 Jul 1995). George's letters home to England can be found at http://www.haworthassociation.org/George/GeoLtr.htm.

As a young man, George became a Quaker and accepted  William Penn's invitation to come to America to be free from religious persecution. Traveling with his sister Isabella and her husband to America, they were at sea some fourteen weeks and endured the hardships of such a long journey. His sister and brother-in-law, as well as many others, died at sea. A few weeks after arriving in America, he wrote his mother a very detailed letter. The letter was dated Philadelphia, 26, of 8 Mo., 1699 and the complete transcript of that letter can be found at http://www.haworthassociation.org/George/GeoLtr.htm.

After my dear love to you all with my dear love to all my friends and neighbors, hoping that you are all in good health as I am at present, blessed by the Lord for the same; though I have been very weakly at sea in the latter end of our journey, but it pleased the Lord that I got on shore at a place 100 leagues short of Philadelphia, where I was  informed that my Sister dwelt there at a place called "Hurbells," and so much in weakness I got to the place and quickly found her, and staid there one week and then set sail in a sloop for Philadelphia, for which I paid 5s. My sister was in good health and she hath four children, two boys and two girls, and her husband being well also, and is in good health. He is a hatter to his trade. We were about 14 weeks at sea. After we left Liverpool, a long and tedious journey we had, for we being thronged in the ship I believe hurt many, for we had many distempers amongst us as fevers, flux and jaundice and many died at sea abut 56 and aat shore there died about 20....

My Brother-in-law is dead and the child died also about three days before my sister. She was indifferently well most of the way, but about 100 leagues of sight of land she bore a child and it died and then she died and left her household goods to my sister and one half of the clothes and the other half she left to me. As for my Sister here, she doth somewhat incline to come to meeting; but she liveth so far remote from any meeting that she seldom goeth, but as for her husband he doth not incline to go to Friends  Meetings. If my Brother, or any of my neighbors do incline to come into this country, let them be careful that they do not come too many in the ship as we did, for being thronged and the smell of many, then many fainted away and died.

We wanted water and beer to drink, for having salt beef we were much a thirst and could not get enough to drink, for the seamen stowed the hold so full of goods that they had not enough room for water and beer, and then wanting such things as might have nourished us, we suffered hardships....

George, in his letter, went on to offer advice of what to bring for anyone else deciding to make the trip. George wrote second letter to his mother, dated 13th of the 5th Month of 1701. In his second letter he informs his mother he has been healthy. He spent some time with a James Haworth and then hired himself out for a year and received 10 pounds wages in that year. He states if any of his relation "have a mind to come to this country I think it a very good one, and that they may do well, but be sure to come free."  He warns if they come as servants, they must be sold for four or five years of hard work. He instructs they should bring such things as will suit plantation work, such as horse chains and plough gears and things for selling. He went on to describe the land, the game, the crops, and other things in the new land. He again tells his mother he first stayed with his sister and then went north, "then came into the county of Bucks, where my cousin James Haworth lives, and dwelleth near to him, being about 250 miles from my sister."

In 1702 or 1703 George purchased two tracts of land, the first of 200 acres was for the consideration of twelve pounds. The second of 250 acres, joined the first tract and cost twenty-two pounds. George is listed in the deeds as a laborer in Bristol Township.

This land was largely primaeval forest and was located four miles northeast of Doylestown in Buckingham Township of Bucks County, Pennsylvania. As there is little reference in Bucks County to the principal points of the compass, the land can be described as lying in a Southwest to Northeast direction for its greater length of about two miles. Bounding it on its Northeast side is the present Carversville road which meets the Durham road at a right angle. Within this angle and lying North and east of the intersection is the site of the Haworth farm.

George and Sarah did not live on this farm until 1722 which was shortly before his death.

George never provided any information on the name of the ship that carried him to America. It might have been the Britannia, as it had been chartered on behalf of the Lancaster Quaker Meeting out of Liverpool for Philadelphia. Many from nearby meetings sold their estates and embarked with their families for Pennsylvania. In spite of various Toleration Acts in England which permitted nonconformist religious meetings, the system of compulsory tithes was still enforced.

The dates of the sailing or arrival in America cannot be determined, except that arrival was previous to August 26, 1699, which was the date of George's first letter home. Finally in published letters of some Philadelphia Quakers to friends in Lancashire in 1699 we found the name of the ship they termed "that sick ship from Liverpool." It was the Britannia.

The Brittania was a large ship, carried 140 passengers and was a full sailor. The season was reported as hot and dry, even at sea. George in his letter, described the hazards and suffering of the journey. "We were about fourteen weeks at sea--were thronged in the ship--many died at sea, about fifty six and at shore there dies about twenty--many distempers among us as fevers flux and jaundice--having salt beef we were much athirst--for the seamen stowed the hold so full of goods that they had not room enough for water and beer."

George debarked somewhere near the Delaware Capes and as he had been "very weakly at sea" found his sister Mary Myers and spent a week with her before continuing to Philadelphia.

In the records of Marsden Meeting we noted that on August 20, 1698, Thomas Pearson had stated his intentions of removing to Pennsylvania in America with his family. Thomas Pearson and wife Grace were among those who died on the Britannia leaving two young daughters. Most numerous victims of the journey were men, next women, and least affected were children and young persons.

In the summer of 1699, there was an epidemic in Philadelphia and vicinity presumed to have been yellow fever. In ten weeks about 200 died among Quakers. This was coincidental with the arrival of the Britannia. The Monthly Meeting of the area took care of the numerous orphans, among them the two Pearson daughters.

In the Quarterly Meeting records of February 4, 1700, it was noted: "that all Friends who are concerned in transporting people into foreign parts take care not to crowd them together in ships to prejudice their health or endanger their lives." For some years thereafter no Friends from Lancashire again attempted the crossing.

When George migrated, he must have been about twenty years of age, as his age at his marriage in 1710 he was about thirty or thirty-one and at his death in 174/25, near forty-five. Some records give the date of his death as the date of his will, which is unlikely. It is best to say that the exact date is unknown. He married Sarah M. Scarborough on 28 September 1710.

The Courtship of George and Sarah

It was on this branch trail over the hill that George Haworth and Samuel Pickering courted John Scarborough's two eldest daughters during long walks and talks. This was an ancient Indian trail and made an ideal lovers lane. There were big chestnut trees, huckleberry and wild honeysuckle bushes on both sides. This trail was near the John Scarborough farm in Solebury Township, the present site of the borough of Lahaska. (This quotation is from Place Names in Bucks County by George MacReynolds.)

On September 28, 1710 at Falls Quaker Meeting in Buckingham Township, Bucks County, Pennsylvania, George Haworth of Makefield Township married Sarah Scarborough of Solebury Township according to the manner of Friends. Sarah was the oldest daughter of John and Mary Scarborough. The certificate is signed by thirty seven witnesses.

After their marriage, George and Sarah lived on the John Scarborough farm in solebury Township near the site of Lahaska. A log cabin was built for them. It is said that a peach tree now grows on the site which is near a stone house still standing. All of George the Emigrant's children were born on the Scarborough farm, where the family lived until they moved to the 450 acre Haworth farm. This was in 1722, shortly before the death of the Emigrant. Parents and children were members of Falls Monthly Meeting until the Buckingham Meeting was established about 1720..1 George E. Haworth and Sarah M. Scarborough lived at near, Lahaska, Solebury Township, Bucks, Pennsylvania, United States.

George E. Haworth died on 28 November 1724 and was buried at Buckingham Family Burying Ground, Buckingham Township, Bucks, Pennsylvania, United States. He made a will at Bucks County, Pennsylvania, United States, on 27 November 1725.

LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT OF GEORGE HAWORTH

Memorandum that I George Hayworth of Buckingham in the County of Bucks and Province of Pennsylvania being sick of body but of a perfect mind and memory, thanks be to God for the same I calling to mind the mortality of my body & knowing that it is appointed once for all men to Dye I do Make and ordain this my last will & testament Recommending my Soul unto God (who) Gave it to me & my body to be buried Decently at the Discretion of my executors hereafter name & I dispose of my worldly estate as follloweth.

First I will that my funeral expenses & my Just Debts be paid & Discharged.

Item I will that my loving Wife Sarah Hayworth have & enjoy my plantation with all my wood land and personal estate after my Just Debts be paid until she shall marry or Dye.

Item I will that when it shall happen that my said loving wife Sarah Shall either Marry or Dye that then my plantation with all my woodland & personal estate shall be praized by four substantial men & all my children that are living Shall Receive equal Shares thereof equally Divided among them.

Always provided that if my loving wife Sarah Shall happen to Marry that then she shall have two pound a year paid to her during her natural life out of my said estate Secured to her by all my Children that are then living share & share alike.

Item I leave my said loving wife in full power of all my estate both real and personal until she either marry or Dye for bring up of my Children in the best way and manner that she is capable of.

Item I will that if my loving wife Sarah shall live a widow till my oldest Son Come to the age of 21 years that then he shall have liberty to build & plant at some convenient place on my land if he please.

Item I will that if my loving Wife Sarah either Marry or Dye before my Children be at full age & their be a Division of my estate as above Directed and after that any of my Children shall Dye in minority that then all their shares or any of them so Dyeing shall be equally Divided among the rest of them living.

Item I will that my executors sell as much of my woodland as shall pay and Discharge my Just Debts at what Side or end of my tract as they shall think fit & hereby empower them to sell & make good title to the buyer of so much land as they shall sell for the use aforesaid.

Item I hereby Constitute and appoint My Loving Wife Sarah and my Brother in law John Fisher my sole & whole executors of this my last will & testament and of all my whole estate both real & personal & of all my Chattells & goods movable & unmovable.

Item I will that the said John Fisher be executor in Trust and that he be paid reasonable charges for all that he Doth in the execution of his trust in helping my loving Wife & Children in the managing of what is herein expressed.

And I hereby Disannull all my former wills and testaments by me made whether by word or writing and Declare this above written to be my last will and testament.

Item I will that what I have before expressed to be put in execution as my last will & testament and I hereby publish it to be my last will.

In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this twenty-seven Day of the 11th month Called January in the year of our Lord one thousand Seven hundred & twenty four or five 1724/5.

Signed Sealed and published in the presence of us John Scarborough, Ambrose Bancroft, Lawrence Pearson, Joseph Sidell, George Haworth (seal).

Children of George E. Haworth and Sarah M. Scarborough
Stephanus Haworth b. 17 Feb 1713, d. 28 Jun 1822
Rachel Haworth1 b. 1715
Absolom Haworth+ b. 1716, d. 17 Apr 1752
John Haworth b. c 1717, d. 19 Nov 1776
James Frederick Haworth+ b. 19 Oct 1719, d. 10 Oct 1757
Mary Haworth b. 23 Feb 1721
George Haworth II b. 1724, d. WFT Est. 1721-1810

Citations
Bill Putnam, Electronically Published Family History, July 13, 2012, billputnam.com/Haworth.pdf.
Broderbund Software, Inc., World Family Tree Vol. 1, Ed. 1, Tree # 2874 (submitted July 7, 1995).

Comments

Kiki Nakita said…
George Haworth is my hubby's 9th great-grandfather. Thank you for your ancestor story.

Popular Posts