A rude wake-up call

I woke up this morning around 4:20. Laid in bed and could hear noises outside. My first thought was raccoons fighting/mating. My bedroom is on the back of the house and there is a creek that runs behind it. Made perfect sense to me. I opened the bedroom window and realized a woman was screaming and there were male voices too. I jumped out of bed to get the phone in the living room. I was going to call 911 even though I had no idea where the screaming was coming from.
Turns out when I got to the living room the screaming is much louder. I looked outside to see a police officer holding two individuals at gunpoint on the ground a a woman in a night gown screaming. The officer is yelling at her, she's screaming, yelling at the guys spread-eagle on the ground and the two guys are yelling. Let's just say there was lots of yelling--enough to wake most the neighborhood it turns out.
He was the only officer on the scene at that time. I woke up my husband (and Rosie) and by now we could hear sirens in the distance. Two other officers/cars arrived shortly to assist. When the officers had everything under control, we stepped outside to realize most our neighbors were also outside. The officers handled the situation and the all the parties in a very professional and compassionate way. Needless to say, though, this is not the way I like to be awaken. Hopefully I can get a nap later today.

This neighborhood used to be so quiet. Out of 16 homes on my block, six families have lived here for over 30 years, where we have raised our families together. Another four homes the occupants have been here 15+ years. It is two homes on the block where all the problems seem to originate from. And both homes are suspended of selling drugs. Need I say more?

Comments

Popular Posts