My Favorite Reading Material as a Child

As long as I can remember, I have always LOVED to read. As a child, I started out reading (I believe) every one of the Bobsey Twins books. I know I read every one of the Little Women series books. I was big into series. Another series I really loved were the non-fiction series about Misty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry.

I have always loved horses and always dreamed of having my own horse. That is probably one reason I am so hooked on Confessions of the Pioneer Woman.

Anyway, back to Misty, the pony on which the book was based. Misty of Chincoteague is the title of a 1947 children's book by American author Marguerite Henry, based on the true story of a Chincoteague Pony named Misty. Set on the coastal island of that name, the book tells the story of the Beebe family and their efforts to raise a pony born to a wild horse. The book won the Newbery Honor. Wikipedia Misty and her foal Stormy have been preserved and are on display at the Beebes' home. Sequels to this book include:

Stormy, Misty's Foal
Sea Star: Orphan of Chincoteague
A Pictorial Life Story of Misty
Misty's Twilight


These books brought me so much pleasure and transported me to the Chincoteague Island off the coast of Virginia.

Comments

Hmmm, pretty sure the first books I read were the Bobbsey Twins. I remember being home sick at Grandma's in first grade and reading the whole book. Also loved the Little House books. Never read the Misty one, but the girls' teacher read it to them this year. :)
ChrissyW said…
love your layout below - love your header - and look forward to seeing more of your work in the gallery!!! :) see you on the boards!
Chrissy

Popular Posts